Friday Open Thread (with BIRTHDAY)
It’s Friday the 13th! It’s St. Lucia’s Day! It’s also my birthday!
The Hobbit is my favourite book of all time, and in Hobbit-birthday fashion, I wish to give you gifts. So there are giveaways happening, as detailed yesterday -- do enter!
But here, in this thread, today, if you’re of a gifting bent, I’d love if you gave me any of the following:
1) a single line of beloved poetry (with attribution!)
2) a glimpse of a beautiful thing you saw during your day, in your own words
3) a description of a talisman you’d make to give me strength and perseverance whenever my heart falters, because the coming year is enormous and frightening, and I can use all the help I can get.
Thank you so much for being with me here. I hope you have a wonderful day, and an easeful weekend!
Amal darling, mostly I just want to give you A Swedish to go with your lussekatt today. I don't know if you've ever had A Swedish as a drink, and I don't know if it counts as a talisman. It is steamed milk with cinnamon and cardamom and a little maple syrup, whipped cream if you want it. So much love, happy birthday, god Lucia dag.--Marissa
A day late (but with the glimpse from the right day):
1) "Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate." (John M. Ford, "Against Entropy").
2) A child laughing gleefully at their first panto.
3) A scallop shell, bound up in a neat package with some favorite impressions and hopes.